Friday, April 22, 2011

Ariel's Story

Ariel's Story is my submission for the Disney Themed Writing Competition on the Sims 3 website. The forum is here. I hope you like it.

“Have you ever felt the water flow through your hair when you swim fast? Or the way the salt water of the sea makes your skin even softer? Or your tail that splits the water, so that you can go even faster? It is the most wonderful feeling I’ve ever had. And yet I traded it for legs. I am Ariel, your mother, and this is my story.

When I was sixteen, my father had often ranted to me about how bad the humans are. I have never found his meaning the right one, because he didn’t know how beautiful their stuff is, like the fork, which Scuttle claimed was named dinglehopper and was used for combing one’s hair. Or rope, which you can use to secure things. But you’ll know that, of course. You’re a human. But that’s not the point. The point is that my father, as soon as it became obvious  that I did not dislike the human world, like my six (!) sisters, told me that he didn’t want me to collect human stuff. But, of course the forbidden things are the most attractive ones. I started collecting human stuff. It went great, and I could hide all of it, but it often took the place of singing practice. Once, I even skipped a concert for it. Yeah, king Triton was very angry about that. But, luckily, he didn’t find out that I had been collecting human stuff. That was later, when he found out I had fallen in love with prince Eric. A human – and beautiful. I wanted to be at his side forever. Then came that stupid storm, then my father found out about my love for a (let’s use his exact words) stupid, murderous, torturer. A puny human. Then he destroyed Eric’s statue. I was heartbroken. Flotsam and Jetsam then came, and brought me to Ursula. Ursula. What can I say about her? How awful she is? How ugly her purple skin is? That’s no use. You know that. I’ve told you before. No, all I will say is that she gave me legs. And boy, that HURT! Imagine your tail, something that has been a part of you ever since you were born, being split into two parts! Well, after that I had two legs, and Flounder and Sebastian helped me to the surface. Eric found me on the beach and took me to his palace, where I was the mute girl he helped. After two days, we almost kissed, thanks to Sebastian’s song (don’t tell him I said that), but our boat tipped over. I suspect Flotsam and Jetsam, but I’m not sure. Anyway, after that, some girl Vanessa – Ursula in disguise – came over, and stole <u>my</u> Eric. With the help of Flounder and some of his friends we managed to stop the wedding, I got my voice back and Eric finally kissed me. But too late, the sun had set. I was Ursula’s. Dad came over, and persuaded Ursula to let me go in exchange for his life. I wanted to yell to him not to do it, but I couldn’t, I was a polyp. Afterwards,  things went quickly. Dad became a polyp in my place, Ursula took control of the seas, she rose to the surface, grew until she was as big as the sky, used some shipwrecks to try to kill me and Eric, Eric killed her with one of them. Then Dad saw how much I loved Eric, and he decided to give me legs. Permanently. Eric and me got married, and after that, my dear Melody, you were born. My little Melody. How much I love you. I hope you’ll always be able to do as you wish, my dear, and that no one will stop you. My darling daughter. Sleep well, sweetheart, I will check on you in the morning.”

Note: Melody, the daughter Ariel is talking to, is the daughter of Ariel and Eric. She is introduced in The Little Mermaid 2: Return to the Sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment