Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Feathers of the Hawk Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Kahu looked up at Eyolf, which wasn't something she was used to, because she was tall, taller than most people. However, Eyolf was at least a handbreadth taller. While she was looking at his almost-black eyes, he was talking.
"I'm sorry, what did you say?"
"I said that, since we'll be working with each other, we might as well get to know each other better."
"I think you're right."
"So, how old are you, K?"
"Kahu", she corrected. "And I'm seventeen."
"That'd make me one year younger. What other forms do you change into?"
"A horse, a lioness and I am trying to master the wolf."
"I could help you with that one."
"Thanks. And what are your forms?"
"Other than my wolf? A horse, like you, a cat and I am practicing the hawk."
"Want help?"
A wolfish grin spread across Eyolf's face.
"If you're prepared to give it."
"Deal."
They both went to their rooms, to pack, after deciding to meet at one of the training areas in half an hour. Kahu ran to her room, because it was at the far end of the Academy.

==============================================================
The boy started panicking and flapping his wings, which made him take off, frightening him even more. Suddenly a calming voice sounded in his head.
'Calm, boy. Do not panic. Spread your wings.'
"Who are you? Why are you in my head?!" 
'They call me Are. I am in your head because I will be your mentor, for I also change into an eagle. I know what I'm talking about. Calm down and spread your wings.'
The boy did as Are had said and landed.
'Very good. Now, focus on your human form. Focus on the boy you are. Don't let that boy slip.'
As the boy did this, Are said a few last things.
'When you're a boy again, tell your mother what happened. She'll know what to do.'
"But why can't you tell me?"
'I can only talk to you when we're both eagles, and soon you'll be a boy again. Go to your mother, she will and can tell you. And tell her she's brave.'
"I will." And with those words, he was a boy again, shutting away the soothing voice. He ran home.
"Mom, mom, where are you?"
"In the garden, dear."
He ran around the house, towards his mother, and into her arms.
"Mom, there is something you have to know."
"What's it, dear?" She pushed him back softly and looked at his face. "Your eyes have changed. What happened?"
"They did?" The boy had forgotten his fear.
"Yes, my son. They are  a light shade of hazel now. They have shifted. They are no longer your father's." She dreamily looked up at the sky as she said that.
"My father? Who –"
"No, you go first. Tell me what happened."
The boy told her.
"Tama, do you know what this means?"
"I- am I a shapeshifter?"
"Yes, my boy, you are. And that means that you'll have to go to the Academy, just like your father predicted."
"A school?"
"A shapeshifter's school."
"Do I have to?"
"Yes, Tama, yes."
He recovered quickly. "Okay, I guess."
"There's my boy. Now, let's get you packed, shall we?"

No comments:

Post a Comment