Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Feathers of the Hawk Chapter 3

Chapter 3


Taking her bag with her, Kahu ran to one of the training areas. Eyolf wasn't there yet, so she put her bag away.
"Am I late?" It was Eyolf.
"No,  I was early. So, how did you want to help me shapeshift?"
"You try changing into a wolf, then I look at what goes wrong, I shapeshift, I tell you what you'll have to work on, you do that."
"I agree, but only if we do the same for you."
"Okay!" The wolfish smile was back on Eyolf's face, while Kahu shifted.
"You forgot the tail."
"Thank you, Captain Obvious", Kahu snapped. "Could you please tell me how to fix it?"
"Sure! Change back, and now concentrate on the tail. Don't make the whole wolf appear, only the tail. Like that, yes. Make it disappear. And get it back again. And keep on doing that."
"While you try the hawk, of course."
"Of course." Eyolf changed.
"Your hawk doesn't have wings."
"Really?" The sarcasm in his voice was obvious.
"Yes, really. Can you shift back? Good. Now imagine your arms and hands become wings. Mind you, they're not gone, just changed. Like this." She showed Eyolf. "Yes, very good."
"I'll go on with this, you should try the whole wolf." Kahu had been making the tail appear and disappear while she was teaching Eyolf, and now a sand-coloured wolf stood where she had been standing. Kahu looked at her legs, and saw that her trousers were gone.
"It worked!"
"Of course it did, I taught you", Eyolf said, still changing his arms to wings and back. Kahu launched herself at him: she hated people who were full of themselves. Eyolf saw her coming and quickly changed into a wolf too; a grey wolf stood in front of the sand-coloured one.
"I wouldn't do that, if I were you", said Eyolf.
"Then you shouldn't be that full of yourself, you really are not all that, you know."
"Okay, I take it back. It worked because it is the way to do these things, not because I taught you."
"That's a lot better", Kahu said, shifting back, telling him to try the hawk again, this time making his arms wings instead of making them disappear. He did, this time changing completely, and muttering something about how Kahu could never have beaten him in a fight since he had been in his primary animal and she hadn't even practiced fighting in a wolf's form.
"I've fought in the form of a lioness, though", Kahu commented, having heard everything.
Eyolf became a boy again. "A lioness is not a wolf."
"That's right. But a lioness also fights with her teeth. She also uses her claws, I'll admit that, but the teeth are very important too."
"Hmm."
"Wanna try? First as wolves, then as hawks, and the third round is for you to choose. The one who wins two times is the winner."
"Deal. But you've got to find the referee."
"Okay."
Kahu ran through the corridors, eventually finding someone who was okay with watching their training match. She won all three rounds, the third one being an unfair match between her as a hawk and Eyolf as a wolf.
"How come you're that good?"
"My b- Are trained me", said Kahu, and, ignoring the question in his eyes, 'Why did he teach you?', she continued. "And we should probably be on our way to the Lord and Lady Skye's castle."
"Yeah, you're right. By the way, I had an idea about travelling. One of us is a horse, while the other rides. After a while, we switch places."
"Great idea, but I'm not sleeping on my own in an inn. You can accompany me as a wolf."
"Why won't you?"
"Can't you figure that out on your own? If not, I am wondering if Are was right, matching us."
"I get it. But if you won't do it now, how do you usually sleep?"
"As a hawk, on a branch. But I don't really want to be that fast, so I like your idea better."
"Why not?"
"That's a story for another time, we have to go."

==============================================================Tama was helping his mom pack his stuff, for the journey and for the time he would spend at the academy.
"Are also said to tell you that you're brave."
"Really?" His mom seemed far away. "That's nice of him. I didn't think he would even remember me."
"Mom, what are you saying? Why did Are tell me to say that? Who is my father?" Tama knew that if he fired a lot of questions at the same time, his mom was more likely to answer them.
"You'll find out, my kawaii."
When the boy was ready, his mother gave him a letter.
"Give this to Are when you've arrived."
"I will."
"Be safe."
"Okay."
"And write me as soon as you can."
"I will, mama." With those words, Tama started his long and dangerous jouney.

No comments:

Post a Comment