Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Feathers of the Hawk Chapter 7

Chapter 7! I have a test week right now, so I don't know if there will be a new chapter before next week.

'"This first training we'll spend talking. I will answer your questions, and I will tell you everything you need to know."
"All of my questions?"
"No. Not all of them. But before we go on, there is something you should know."
"What?"
"Washi, I am -" No. This was not the way to tell him.
"Washi, before we start your training, you should know that I am Kahu's brother." Better. He'd use that one to tell the boy.'

====================================================================================
While Are was wondering how to tell Tama that he was his father, Eyolf had finally caught up with Kahu.
"What was that for?"
"I - I just had to get away."
"Why?"
"Can you keep a secret?"
"I think so." Eyolf was serious, for Kahu looked more serious than he had ever seen her. Kahu sighed. "Are is my brother. My half-brother," she added, when she saw that Eyolf was wondering how there could be such a big age difference. "And we've kinda made a deal: neither of us would tell anyone that we're family. And now I'm breaking that deal. That's why you can't tell anyone else."
"Don't worry, I won't," Eyolf reassured her. Kahu smiled.
"So now you know."
"Yes. Now I know."
"Can we fly? Please?"
"Of course. Would you like me to put the saddle you're still wearing away?"
"Yes." Kahu shifted. "Could you leave the saddlebags here? I want to take my stuff with me."
"Sure." Eyolf handed Kahu - who had shifted back - her saddlebags, before he went to put the saddle away.
"Come on, let's go!" With those words, Eyolf became a hawk and flew away. Kahu laughed and shifted too, flying after him.
"Come, we have to go east," yelled Kahu, soaring to the right.
"How do you know?"
"I've been at Skye Manor before. But spare your strength - you'll need it for flying!"
And Eyolf did. They landed at six in the evening. Eyolf shifted to a wolf, Kahu to a human. A human with long, dark golden hair.
"Don't forget that your name is Conall now," she whispered.
"I won't, Luna," replied Eyolf. She sighed but didn't say anything - a rare moment. Instead, she walked to the inn, a grey wolf on her heels.
"Well, what do we have here?" The man asking it didn't look friendly, so Eyolf growled at him. He backed away. Kahu ignored both of them and walked to the counter.
"Is there a room left?"
"For how long?"
"Only tonight."
"There is one room left," said the innkeeper, after checking his book. "Are you taking that dog with you?"
"Yes. But he is very well raised and won't cause trouble. Unless someone tries to attack me."
"He can go with you, but if he causes trouble, you're the one paying for it."
"Okay."
"Upstairs, second room on the left."
"Thank you. Could I have dinner for two in my room?"
"It'll be there in fifteen minutes."
"Thank you. Come, Conall."
They walked up the stairs. As soon as they were in the room, Eyolf shot a question at Kahu.
"What do you mean, well raised?"
"That he won't find any trace of a dog in here."
"Indeed he won't. I am not a dog."
"Even if you were. You'll be human, after all. I'm going to unpack my stuff, can you stay in your wolf-form until dinner is here?"
"Sure."
After exactly fifteen minutes, there was a knock on the door. Kahu made sure Eyolf was a wolf,. before she said that whoever it was could come in. It was the innkeeper.
"Here is your food. Is there anything else you need?"
"No, thank you."
"I will see you tomorrow, then. And that dog of yours better not make any mess."
"He won't," Kahu reassured the man, before looking meaningfully at the food.
"In that case, goodnight."
"Thank you." The man went downstairs.
"You hungry?" Eyolf shifted back immediately when Kahu asked that.
"Of course!" They ate their dinner in silence.
"I am going to bed, but if you wish to stay up for a little longer, that's fine with me."
"No, I'm tired too."
Kahu undressed and went to lie down in the bed, tossing the blanket to Eyolf.
"I took my own blanket, you can take this one."
"Thanks." Eyolf took the blanket and lay down on the floor.
"Hey, wolf boy," Kahu whispered, a little later.
"Yes?"
"Come here."
"Why?"
"I'm not going to let you sleep on the floor while I'm sleeping in the bed."
"I thought you normally slept outside because you were afraid of people who might climb into your bed?"
"Yes, I do. But I'm telling you to come, so I won't be surprised. Besides, I trust you. And I can beat you in a fight."
Eyolf laughed softly. "In that case, make room." He lay down on the bed, rolling himself in his blanket.
"What's more, I promised the innkeeper that my 'dog' wouldn't make a mess. So, if there are wolf hairs in my bed tomorrow, he'll have a reason to shout at me."
"Why would there be wolf hairs in the bed?"
"If you shift while lying here, there will be. And if someone enters my room, you would change into a wolf, wouldn't you?"
"Of course!"
"See? But anyway, don't tell my brothers – brother about this. He won't like it."
Eyolf's face had a wolfish grin over it. "Of course I won't."
They talked for a little while and then fell asleep until dawn came over the inn.

2 comments: