Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Feathers of the Hawk Chapter 17


Yes, the chapter is half a week early. I decided upon two chapters a week. And, yes, I know this chapter will seem out of character, but in fact, Kahu respects her brother, because of the way he deals with difficulties. He respects her because she does whatever she wants to do and never lets anyone stop her, no matter how society might see it (which is, usually, not very positive).



---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That evening, Kahu went to Niall’s study. She stood awkwardly at the door.
“Brother, we have to talk.”
Niall looked up from his desk, said, “Not now. I am busy. Come back tomorrow,” and went turned to his desk again.
“We will talk now. Tomorrow Luíz, Eyolf and I are leaving.”
“What do you mean; Luíz, Eyolf and you are leaving?”
“We have to get back, brother. Especially if there is a war coming. Luíz won’t be used as a spy – he is not a wolf or a panther, he will be quite safe. He will make friends.”
“He shifts too.” It wasn’t a question, but a statement.
“Yes.”
“My son shifts shapes.” Niall’s voice was very calm, but Kahu could see him shivering with rage. “My son shifts shapes,” he now yelled, “and he did not tell me.” He rose, throwing over his chair in the process. “Even my SISTER knew, and even she didn’t tell me.”
“Because I know that this is how you’d react. What would you have done yesterday, if you had known? Niall, I know this is a blow to you. I am sorry. But think. What would you have done, if you had known?”
Niall was silent. She had a point there. “I would have lost my temper.”
“Yes. You would have. I tried to protect him – and you. I’m guessing that you only yelled at him yesterday, didn’t you?”
“Yes.”
“I don’t know what you’d have done if you had known, but you’d have been sorry. But Luíz wouldn’t be able to forgive you. That is why I made sure you wouldn’t know.”
“Hmpf.” Niall had calmed down a bit, seeing the logic in the things his sister told him. “What is he?”
“A lynx,” Kahu said softly. “He is beautiful, brother. You will see him some day, but not now. He doesn’t know, and Are will kill me if I tell him how to shift.”
“So he shifts shapes but is not even a bird?” Niall’s temper rose again.
“Yes. Don’t be angry, brother. It is not his fault.”
“I am not angry,” he replied. “I am disappointed. I had hoped Inez’s human blood would have overruled the shapeshifter blood. And now that we are finally talking, little sister –” Kahu had avoided him the whole day “– you might want to tell me something?” Most people would see the fact that he had called her his sister positive – Kahu knew better. If he was somewhat angry with her, he acknowledged their shared blood. If he were really angry, he would call her by her whole name, Selene Sidera Skye. If he wasn’t angry at all, he called her Selene. She usually called him her brother, because she hated his name. If she wanted to calm him a bit, she would use it.
“I love him,” Kahu said. Seeing Niall’s expression, she added, “Please, Niall. For once, let us part without argument. For once, let us part on a friendly note. I know you hate me. But please. If you won’t do it for me, do it for your son. You won’t see him for quite some time.”
“Hm. Well, at least you’ve chosen a male this time.” Even though his voice suggested calm, Kahu knew that he was struggling inside – should he yell at her or not?
“Thank you, brother.” This was where Kahu might have hugged him, if they had liked each other a little bit more. Now, both of them stood awkwardly, until Niall broke the silence. “I guess I should say goodbye. When will you return?”
Kahu sighed. This was the subject she had wanted to avoid. “I don’t know. I’m sorry. But if I did and I took Eyolf with me?”
In a few strides, Niall’s long legs crossed the distance between them. Unwillingly, Kahu took a step back. Niall put his hands on her shoulders.
“You would be welcome, little sister. Inez would enjoy your companionship, and I might even get to know the fellow.” This time, the words ‘little sister’ did not indicate anger.
Niall’s dark green eyes looked into Kahu’s grey ones, and Kahu saw that Niall respected her as she respected him. Suddenly Kahu noted that the years had taken their toll on him – he was only eight years older than she was, but he looked at least thirty-five. She hated him, yes. But he had a courage she wouldn’t have had, if all had been the other way around. He was, in his way, as strong as she was in hers. He had managed to deal with inheriting the estate, even when he had only become a father two years before, and his son demanded all of his attention. He couldn’t respect her for running away, could he? Confused, Kahu broke fee of his grasp.
 “Thank you,” she said. “Then I shall return.” And then she ran away, leaving her brother to stare at the empty corridor.
“I hope so, little sister. I really do. But maybe this time, Are will let you bite of more than you can chew, even with the boy’s help,” he whispered.

1 comment:

  1. Great chapter! :3
    Glad the two of them could at least partially look past their differences! :D

    ReplyDelete