Monday, September 5, 2011

Feathers of the Hawk Chapter 18

No, this chapter is NOT a day late. Hush.
On the other hand, it IS a very long chapter.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Niall had left Kahu quite confused. How could his mood shift with the minute? Had she really seen respect in his eyes?  Why had he been so calm, when normally he would have taken the opportunity to shout at her? Why had he been huddled over that letter? She was so engaged in her thoughts, that she did not notice Inez, Niall's wife, Luíz' mother, walking toward her until she bumped into her sister-in-law. The women were friends, even though they were entirely different. Inez was an ambitious woman, who was very glad to be chosen as Lady Skye, while Kahu was only glad to be away from that name and title.
"Inez! Sorry, I didn't see you coming."
The other woman smiled. "I noticed that." They hugged.
"It has been long, Selene. Too long."
" I know. But can you blame me for not wanting to face him?"
" It is good you waited. He was quite angry that night."
"You would know," remarked Kahu. Both of them chuckled.
"Cat still hasn't got your tongue, I see. Why didn't you come to see me sooner?"
"I got my brother angry again, and I thought it better to remain in my room than to let him send me to it and forbid me to let Eyolf come."
"Eyolf?" Inez's glittering eyes told Kahu that she did not yet know about the boy.
"Niall might say something about his cursed sister falling in love again tonight." They chuckled again. "And about saying goodbye to Luíz."
"What do you mean?" Inez's voice had taken on an alarmed tone.
"Inez, I'm sorry, but he is a shapeshifter too. I know you'll worry about your son, but I promise, I will protect him as well as I can."
"Oh, Selene, you aren't serious, are you?"
"I – I am. I'm sorry. He has to come."
"He can't. He's an heir."
"So was Are. So could I have been. It is not as if I like it. I'd have preferred him not to be one of us. But he is, and now he must come."
"Are was never an heir. He was illegitimate."
"Dad had appointed him an heir to whatever he possessed when he died. Inez, I'm sorry."
"Leave."
"Inez."
"Leave, now. I will see you later."
"I'm sorry," Kahu said, before leaving.
She walked away, thinking about her family. Niall's children. And Are's, she thought to herself. Let's not forget our little Tama. How would he be, she mused. Probably training with Are. I don't envy him, Are is not the friendliest of teachers…

========================================================

"Come on, boy. You can do this. It is not that hard!"
"Dad, I really can't!"
"How will you ever be a worthy leader of Shapeshifter Academy if you can't even shift into a horse? Everyone can, so you can too."
"No, I can't!"
"Yes, you can. Come on, again!"
"NO!"
"Yes. Again, boy. NOW!" Many people were looking at the training session between Are and his son. Tama, or Washi, as his name was now, was tired, sweaty and angry. Are was even more angry, and he looked older than ever. He hated doing this; he loved his son. But he had to.
"Come on, Washi," he said, more gently now, "you can do it. Just concentrate. The first time you shift into another animal is always hard, but it will get easier. They are all there, at the same place as the eagle, but YOU must find them. The eagle comes, but others won't come as easily. It is difficult for everyone –you are not alone. It was hard for me, and for everyone here. You can do it, boy, but you have to want it. If this wasn't important, I wouldn't ask it."
"But Dad, I – I can't."
"Yes, my boy, you can. Come on, one more time. Do it for me, please." Tama also saw how tired and old his father was. He knew he had to do it. Finally, he shifted into a horse, a dappled, grey horse. It was odd that his horse wasn't the same color as his eagle, but Are wasn't going to comment on it.
"Well done, my boy. Come. Shift again. Rest." He led his son away, tired but proud.
"Lord Are!" It was a newcomer, a young boy who hadn't been there long. Are sought his memory for a name.
"Yes, Hayden?"
"There is a lady who wishes to speak to you." It was not unusual for women to come to the Academy and see if their children were all right, but Are was tired.
"Tell her to come back tomorrow."
"She thought you'd say that. She said to tell you her name was Emiko."
Both Are and Tama were awake then.
"Emiko? Are you sure?"
"Yes, Lord."
"Very well. Let her come to my office."
The boy swallowed. "She is there already, Lord."
"Can I come too, Dad? Please?" Tama looked up at his father.
"No, my boy. But I will make sure she visits you."
"Please, Dad."
"No. Go to your room. You will see your mother tomorrow."
"Yes, Dad."
"There's my boy. Goodnight, Washi."
"Goodnight, Dad."
With those words, Tama was off to his room. Are sighed and went to his office. It was time he faced Emiko.

1 comment:

  1. :-o
    Intense ending... ;D
    Can't wait to see how he reacts!

    ReplyDelete