Friday, September 9, 2011

Feathers of the Hawk Chapter 19

Yes – Are gets his happy ending. And FYI, Emiko is not much younger than Are, only a few years or so. And yes, after this chapter, we'll be returning to Kahu.


---------------------------------------------------------------

Emiko was very angry with him, so it was just as well that he had sent their son to his room.
"So there you are" were her first words, after more than eleven years. "Why didn't you come back" were the second words. After that came a tirade.
"Yes, love. I know. I am sorry," Are said, when Emiko paused to draw breath. The words made her go off again and she yelled for quite some time. Are let her, knowing that he had deserved it. He should have gone back to talk to her. She finally ended with a question about their son.
"How is he? How is my little boy?"
"May I talk?" When Emiko remained silent, Are went on. "Tama, or Washi, as his name is now –"
"Why?"
"That is how things go here. The boy is in his room. He is tired, so you may visit him tomorrow. But otherwise, he's fine. It is a good boy."
These words broke through Emiko's shell of anger. "I know. It comes from you, I am sure."
"I am sorry, my love. I should have come back. Even my sister told me so, when she discovered that I had a son that even I knew nothing about."
"What do you mean, you didn't know?"
"I never knew that you had a child. My child. If I had known, I would never have left."
"Do you mean that?"
"Yes. I do. I loved you more than anything in the world, Emiko. I still do. If I had known, I would have stayed, until my father personally came to take me home."
This got a smile from Emiko's lips. "I am sure he would have."
"You didn't know him." Are smiled too. "And he is no longer your 'little boy', Emiko. He has grown. But to answer your question, I didn't come back, because I couldn't. My father left his post, and all his responsibilities fell upon my shoulders. I couldn't come back. But I've always kept this," he said, pulling a locket from his neck. When he opened it, it contained a lock of pure black hair. Emiko's hair.
"I love you, Emiko. If you'd stay here, it would mean the world to me."
"Oh, Are. I wish I could."
"Why can't you?"
"Back at home, a man asked me to marry him. It would not be fair to him not to answer."
"Then send him a pigeon."
"And I won't be an unmarried mother my whole life."
"What if I asked you? Would you stay then?" Are asked, rising and walking to embrace Emiko.
"I would stay, and send him a pigeon that I married the father of my son."
"Then, Emiko, my love, my life, I ask you. Will you marry me, and stay?"
"Yes. I will." She kissed Are. "And, my old man, did you get out of practice?"
Are grinned. "Only one way to find out, isn't there?"
He took Emiko's hand and showed her his bedroom. Later, when he was falling asleep, one last thought circled in his mind.How would that crazy sister of mine be?

1 comment: