Thursday, September 15, 2011

Feathers of the Hawk Chapter 20 & 21

Yes, they're in one post. Why? Well, because I posted them at school, where I CAN access Deviantart, but I CAN'T access blogger. So here they are, conveniently in one post. Conveniently for me, that is.


Chapter 20


"Eyolf, how will you come with us? You can't be one of the horses, but you can't ride either," Kahu said.
"I was thinking about a wolf."
"All right. But you have to be a human whenever we enter an inn."
"Why?"
"A woman and a boy, no matter what dog or wolf accompanies them, are prey. If we pretend to be married, it is all right."
"If we'd marry for real, we wouldn't have to pretend."
"We've talked about this before, Eyolf. I won't marry."
"I would let you be as free as you'd need."
"But that's the whole problem! You would let me be free. But it would be your decision. I know you'd never use that power, but other people would see it that way. I want to be my own boss; I don't want anyone who can interfere with my life! I escaped one prison, and I won't be thrown into another one. Please, Eyolf. Just accept it. I will be yours, but not in name. I will never marry, not you, nor anyone else."
Eyolf sighed. "It was worth a try."
Kahu smiled. "You take rejection very well."
"What else can I do? It is not my nature to sulk about things I can't change." But Kahu saw that his smile was not as wholehearted as it usually was.
"I'm sorry, Eyolf."
"Just don't mention it, Kahu. Please."
Kahu stopped strapping the saddle onto Agyei, her horse. She turned to him.
"Eyolf," she said, firmly. "Look at me. Listen to me." He did. Kahu continued, in a gentle tone. "I love you, more than anything in the world. I did not reject you, as a person. I rejected marriage, as a state. I won't marry, not you, but also not anyone else. I love you, Eyolf, and if it comes to it, I will follow you through all seven hells and face Djävul himself to get you back. I would have refused any offer of marriage, even if it came from the king. I will be my own; no one will be able to tell me what to do. That is who I am, that is my hawk. You can't change me, Eyolf, but neither can I change you. And I, the real me, won't marry. I won't be anyone's. I am not your usual lady, Eyolf. I am not the kind of woman that will sit by the fire and raise the children while her husband goes off to the war. I love you, but if you only want me as your wife, you'd better leave right now. If you don't, stop asking me to be your wife and accept the things the way they come."
Halfway through the speech, Eyolf's smile became its normal self. "You are right. I will stop asking you. Can you forgive me?" Kahu did not need to use words to reply.
"Selene! Where are you! Come out now!"
"Coming!"
"Say, Kahu, there is one thing that I am still wondering about," Eyolf said, while they went outside. "Why are you using a saddle now?"
"Because I can't ride with a backpack and no saddle. Also, because this is the only saddle I can use. I never learnt to ride sidesaddle. At home, I would have had to take a lady's saddle. Can you imagine?"
Eyolf laughed, while he tried to imagine Kahu in a dress, riding in a lady's saddle. "No."
Kahu smiled at him and looked at the people assembled to say goodbye to them. Inez wasn't there, but Niall was.
"Here is a letter for Are. Can you give it to him?"
"Of course," Kahu said.
"Very well. Goodbye, sister. I will see you again, yes?"
"Yes, my brother. As soon as we can. We will take your son with us."
"And you, boy," Niall had turned to Eyolf, "take care of yourself and her. She doesn't need your protection, but try to keep her from rushing headlong into danger, will you?"
"Yes, sir."
"Good. And you, Antonio," Niall said, using Luíz' first name instead of his second name – he never called his son Luíz. "Listen to your aunt. Write me when you can. And good luck, my son."
"Thank you, father." And with those words, the three shapeshifters, two on a horse, the third as a wolf next to them, turned and started on their way to Shapeshifter Academy.



Chapter 21


Riding, Kahu found that Luíz wanted to know everything. What, where, when, how, why. Especially why. Cursing under her breath, Kahu tried to explain.
"I don't know why your father is human. No, I am not going to explain that. We are going to my home. No, Skye Manor is not my home. Yes, we will stay at the inns. I think that Eyolf can keep up. No, I am not going to tell you how to shift. No, you are not allowed to try. I can't explain what it is like, shifting shapes. You will work for the king, at least fifteen years. You can be sent anywhere, to do anything."
"But why not, Aunt Selene? Why am I not allowed to try?"
"I told you, Luíz. You have to call me Kahu. I won't listen to you if you call me Aunt Selene."
"I am sorry. Can I call you Aunt Kahu?"
"You won't call me anything else, will you?"
Luíz smiled sheepishly. "No."
Kahu sighed. "Then I suppose I'll have to deal with it. Fine, call me Aunt Kahu."
"Thank you. Why am I not allowed to try, Aunt Kahu?"
Another sigh escaped Kahu's lips, as she went on explaining everything Luíz asked. Beside her, the grey wolf that was Eyolf chuckled.

That night, they would sleep at the Inn of the Sky, on the border of Niall's territory. When they were close to the inn, Eyolf shifted back to human form, and sat in the saddle, with Kahu holding the reins behind him.
"Just sit still, Eyolf," she hissed. "I will steer the horse."
"I'm trying," he answered, but Kahu ignored him, steering Agyei to the stables, letting Eyolf descend first before gracefully sliding from the horse's back. She tossed the stable boy some coins.
"Care for the horses, will you, Jake?"
"Yes, Lady," the boy said, eying Eyolf suspiciously.
The latter now whispered to Kahu, "Do you know him?"
"Yes, he is the stable boy of the inn. He has been for some years. And don't forget, your name is Conall. I will stay Selene, but you are Conall."
"Yes, I will, don't worry."
The innkeeper looked just as suspicious at Eyolf as Jake had done, but did not acknowledge him in any other way.
"Selene. I wondered when we might see you again. How are you, dear girl?"
"I am fine, Cyrus, thank you. Do you have a room left for us?"
"How many and how long?"
"Three people, one room. And only tonight, I am afraid."
"You have to go on, as usual?"
"Yes, but not to my brother. Can we stay here or not?"
"The usual room, my girl. You will take breakfast tomorrow, won't you? Inga will want to see you too."
"Okay, Cyrus. I will see you tomorrow, then."
"Your dinner will be there shortly."
"Thanks. Come, Luíz."
The three went upstairs.
"What room did he mean?" Eyolf asked.
"A certain room on the highest floor. A room no one else uses, but which is perfect for a hawk shifter. Luíz, you know which one I mean, don't you?"
"Yes, Aunt Kahu."
"But – but what about paying?"
Both Kahu and Luíz smiled. "Eyolf," Kahu said, "this is on the border of the Skye territory. It falls under Niall's protection. In exchange, he and his family are allowed to stay here for free."
"Ah. I see. Well, where is that room?"
"Here," Kahu answered, opening a trapdoor in the ceiling. "This is also where they leave the food."
They climbed the rope ladder to the attic and entered a nice, big room that contained two beds – a king-sized one and a smaller one. Kahu tossed her backpack on the king-sized one and lay down.
"I just love the Inn of the Sky."

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait for more! It was a treat to have two chapters at once! :3

    ReplyDelete