Sunday, September 18, 2011

Feathers of the Hawk Chapter 22

Yay for introducing new things! And I remembered my promise to post on Sunday mornings!
------------------------------------------------------------------





A knock on the trapdoor told the three of them that their dinner was ready. Kahu descended and picked up the food, climbing the rope ladder as easily with the food as she had done without it.
"Nice!" she exclaimed while climbing. "A lot of meat in the stew."
All three of them gathered on the bigger bed.
"Luíz, I want to get up around dawn. Do you think you can get up then?"
"Sure," the boy answered.
"Good. Go to bed, Luíz. You can take the smaller one."
"Yes, Aunt Kahu."


When the boy was lying in his bed, Kahu looked at Eyolf.
"Shall we also go to bed?" he asked.
"I think so. There is one more thing I have to tell you, but it can wait."
"You might as well tell me now," Eyolf said.
Kahu studied him. Again, Eyolf had the feeling that she was looking for something. "No, I won't. Not as long as the boy is here." She undressed, keeping a watchful eye on Luíz while she did so. Eyolf followed her example.
"Why won't you tell me?"
"It is a well-guarded secret. You will understand when you hear it. I will tell you later."
"Fine," Eyolf said, grudgingly. "I understand. You just don't want to tell me."
"Eyolf, that's not the problem. The problem is the fact that Are will skin me alive if the boy hears it. It is a secret no one but the persons involved can know. I will tell you as soon as I have found the right place. A private place. But if you'd really want to hear it, come." She shifted into a hawk and took off through one of the windows. Eyolf followed her, still convinced that she didn't really want to tell him. Kahu guided him through the night, and into the forest. They flew toward a big oak tree. Kahu perched on one of the highest branches.
"You sure you want to know now? It will take some time and we will rise at dawn."
"You mean that you are going to tell me?"
"Yes. If you are sure that you want to know it now, I will tell you now. Right here, in this oak."
"I think I want to know."
"You think or you know?"
"I know," Eyolf said, sounding convinced.
"Tell me what kind of weather it will be tomorrow," Kahu said, seemingly at random.
"Sunny," replied Eyolf, without pausing to think.
"And this night?"
"A clear night. It won't rain before we're back at the Academy.
"Are will have my skin for this," Kahu muttered, under her breath. "Okay, Eyolf, pay attention. This is one of the best-guarded secrets we shapeshifters have. It is the secret of Talents."

1 comment: